A lot of people give away their superfluous stuff with pleasure. They're doing this because it's a shame to throw away good things, or because they prefer to give away than to ask for money. Often people give away things that are not worth enough in their eyes, but they like to make others happy with it.
Networks for free stuff
How to find people and the stuff they're giving away? On the internet there are various places for free stuff.
- Freecycle is widely known and works through email lists
If you're in the Netherlands, you want to check this article in Dutch.
Do you know any others? Please post about them in the forum and we'll add them to the list.
Food is also a form of stuff. We have written a complete article about getting free food. It has tips ranging from dumpster diving to growing your own food and asking around at restaurants. Good stuff.
Other tips for free stuff
- There are many local Facebook groups for people who are giving away stuff. You can also try to post a request there. Search for example for "free stuff".
- Instead of owning stuff yourself you can also ask your neighbors if you can borrow stuff from them. You can ask personally but there are also networks to enable sharing stuff such as Peerby and Spullendelen.nl (in Dutch).
Fixed locations for free stuff
- In a give-away-shop you can find a lot of free things. People take stuff there to give it away for free.
- Big trash: In Amsterdam and some other cities it's easy to find good stuff in the street. Check your local trash collection days.